A Page -- Dec. 4, 2011 -- AM Edition

In double, shoot-out, overtime fashion, Gilmour earns spot in title game of Snow Days outdoor hockey tourney; Ryan Hall comes through with game winner

To borrow a concept sounding like it might have come from the mythical Dean Wormer of Animal House fame, it took a double, sudden-victory, overtime shootout for Gilmour to get into the title game of its own outdoor hockey tournament in Progressive Field, the Indians Snow Days High School Hockey Invitational.

The Lancers took a 2-1 victory over Bethel Park (Pennsylvania) Saturday to earn the right to play St. Ignatius in today’s championship game.

They had to go down to seven shooters in the shoot-out until a final winner emerged – and there was nothing “secret” about the double shoot-out win. But Ryan Hall’s game-winning goal did keep the Lancers out of the “probationary” mode going into the round-robin game with Ignatius later in the afternoon as they had already defeated the other two teams (BP and New Trier) to clinch a spot in the championship.

Watch Videos of Gilmour Student/Athlete Ryan Hall getting interviewed after the Bethel Park shoot-out victory


After skating to a 1-1 tie in regulation, the Lancers were on the ropes early in the shoot out. Tournament rules here call for direct to shoot out with no over time skates in between regulation and the goalies’ pressure cooker moments (shoot out).

Watch Video of Ryan Hall scoring the game winner in the double, sudden-death, shoot-out


Bethel Park’s first shooter, Schmidt Schmidt, scored on Gilmour goalie Matt Ray to give the Black Hawks an advantage before the Gilmour bench could even send out a shooter.

It stood that way through Gilmour’s first two shooters, Nick Panzo and John Tobbe. Then Nick Aleva banged one home and after three shooters, it was 1-1 in the shoot-out.

Watch Videos of Gilmour Student/Athlete Nick Aleva getting interviewed after the Bethel Park shoot-out victory


The next two missed for each team, sending it to the double-shoot-out-OT portion of the frat fray. First Alex Rupp and Mason Schmitt missed before Hall found the open hole for the game winner.

Ray, the back up goalie to Oliver Flesher, stopped all six shooters after letting up the first goal in the SO/OT.

Watch Videos of Gilmour Student/Athlete Matt Ray getting interviewed after the Bethel Park shoot-out victory


The Lancers were down most of the game and never led at any point during regulation.

The Black Hawks scored at 8:07 of the first period. The 1-0 lead stood until 13:50 of the second and Rupp came through with the Lancers’ only regulation goal of the conest.

Watch Videos of Gilmour Student/Athlete Alex Rupp getting interviewed after the Bethel Park shoot-out victory


Watch Videos of Saturday’s Snow Days Tournament involving Gilmour and St. Ignatius

Mount Union wins football battle of OAC vs. 


ALLIANCE, Ohio — Junior running back Jeremy Murray (Martins Ferry/Martins Ferry) rushed for 152 yards and two touchdowns, and the Mount Union defense held Wabash to 194 total yards, as the No. 2-ranked Purple Raiders defeated the No. 9 Little Giants, 20-8, in a NCAA Division III football national quarterfinal game at Mount Union Stadium on Saturday.

The Purple Raiders (13-0) advanced to the national semifinals of the NCAA tournament for the 17th consecutive season. Mount Union will play host to No. 7-ranked Wesley (Del.) (12-1) at a time to be determined on Dec. 10.

Wabash, champions of the North Coast Athletic Conference, finishes with a 12-1 record.

The Little Giants were averaging 171.8 yards per game rushing, but Mount Union allowed just 31 yards on the ground on Saturday.

"I would say this was our best game of the year, defensively," said Mount Union coach Larry Kehres. 

"This late in the season you're facing some outstanding teams, and I thought we played exceptional on defense."

The defense was led by junior defensive back Nick Driskill (Wabash, Ind./Southwood), who blocked a punt, recovered a fumble, had a quarterback sack and forced a fumble.

"We're definitely happy to get to [the national semifinals]," said Driskill, "but our ultimate goal is the final game [the Stagg Bowl on Dec. 16]."

Murray's biggest play of the game was a 46-yard run that got the Purple Raiders out from the shadow of their own goal line, and set up his 17-yard touchdown run a few plays later that put Mount Union ahead 7-0.

"The linemen all blocked well, and the hole just opened up," said Murray of his big run.

The Purple Raiders broke a scoreless tie on their third possession of the game, driving 82 yards in nine plays. Murray, whose 46-yard run got Mount Union out to its own 48, rushed five times for 75 yards on the drive, including the final 17 to the end zone, with 1:13 remaining in the opening period. Senior kicker Tyler Almeida(Elyria/Elyria) added the extra point to give the Purple Raiders a 7-0 lead.

Wabash was forced to punt, and Driskill blocked the kick, setting up Mount Union at the Little Giants' 11. The Purple Raiders couldn't get a first down, however, and Almeida booted a 22-yard field goal to make it 10-0 with 10:59 remaining in the first half.

Mount Union extended its lead to 17-0 on a five-play, 47-yard drive late in the second quarter. Murray, again, was the key man on the possession, carrying the ball four times for 30 yards, including a scoring run of 1 yard with 1:11 left in the half. Almeida added the extra point.

The Purple Raiders extended their lead to 20-0 on a 33-yard field goal by Almeida with 13:18 remaining in the third quarter.

Wabash scored its points in the fourth quarter when the Purple Raiders took an intentional safety with 6:59 remaining, and when quarterback Chase Belton ran into the end zone from 4 yards out with 4:31 to go. The two-point conversion failed. Mount Union recovered the onside kick and ran out the clock.

"We played poorly in the first half," said Wabash head coach Erik Raeburn, a 1991 Mount Union and nephew of Larry Kehres, "and just dug ourselves too deep of a hole."

The Purple Raiders finished with 236 total yards, including 136 on the ground. Junior quarterback Matt Piloto(Rotonda West, Fla./Lemon Bay) was 6-of-8 for 40 yards on the Purple Raiders' first series before leaving the game. Junior Neal Seaman (Louisville/Louisville) was 6-of-10 for 36 yards, and freshman Kevin Burke (Westlake/St. Edward) was 2-of-4 for 24 yards.

Junior wide receiver Jasper Collins (Geneva, N.Y./Geneva) caught eight passes for 61 yards.

Defensively, Mount Union junior defensive back Isaiah Scott (Hamilton/Fairfield) had eight tackles and two pass breakups. Junior defensive back Alex Nicholls (Galion/Galion) had an interception.

St. Ignatius wins 11th state football

championship with win over Central; big-

school trophy stays in west Cuyahoga/east

Rocky rivers/-I-90 quadrant; shifts from one 

corner to another

St. Ignatius put up 13 first-quarter points on the way to its 11th state football championship, frizzing Pickerington Central, 34-13, Saturday night in Canton in the big-school title game.

After a nice return by Conor Hennessey on the opening kick off gave St. Ignatius good field position, Eric Williams threw 45 yards for a touchdown pass to Tim McCoy. Tim Shenk’s extra point made it 7-0 at the 8:11 mark of the first quarter.


Shenk, the state’s first team All Ohio kicker, then tied a state record for most field goals in a season by drilling home two in the first quarter to give him 20 on the campaign.

Chad Aerni set up the first Shenk three-pointer by forcing a fumble at the Central 24. It was the 35th forced turnover by the Wildcats this season.

Shenk connected again later in the period to make it 13-0.


Central was still trying to gather itself by the second period, but it was already too late as Williams fired a shot to Hennessey to put the Cats into the red zone and then Tim McVey did the rest, an eight-yard run for a TD that made it 20-0.

The Tigers got right back in the ball game in with a pair of scores in the final seven minutes of the half to make it 20-13.

Ignatius finally answered in the third quarter. It was takeaway time again in the period when Zach Baker recovered a Central fumble, setting up TD No. 3 for Iggy.

Williams first hit Hennessey again in the red zone and then McVey did the rest, first pounding away for a first down and then plunging over from the four for his 15th rushing TD of the season, making it 27-13.

Tom Fanning registered turnover No. 3 for the Wildcats with a third-quarter interception.

The insurance score came with 3:50 left in the game on a Williams to Jake Money scoring strike.

Campbell Breaks Another School Record as Spartan Women Finish Fourth at Wooster Invite

WOOSTER, Ohio – For the third-consecutive day, Case Western Reserve University senior Stephanie Campbell<http://athletics.case.edu/sports/wswimdive/2011-12/bios/campbell%20stephanie%20laaz> (Highland Heights, Ohio/Mayfield) was part of a school record performance as the Spartan women's swimming & diving team finished fourth at the 2011 College of Wooster Invitational.

Campbell set the CWRU 200-yard individual medley record on Thursday then swam a leg on the school record-breaking 200 medley relay team on Friday. Today, Campbell set another individual record with a third-place time of 2:07.49 in the 200 backstroke. The local product now owns three individual school records (100 back, 200 back and 200 IM).

The Spartans scored 996 points for the meet, finishing fourth in the 10-team field behind only Division II Edinboro University (Pa.) – 1,656.5 -- and Gannon University (Pa.) – 1,435 – as well as host Wooster (1,161).

Also on day three, sophomore Maggie Dillione<http://athletics.case.edu/sports/wswimdive/2011-12/bios/dillione%20maggie%20qudn> (Newtown, Pa./Council Rock) captured fifth in the 200 butterfly with a time of 2:11.07.

No. 10 Spartan Men Hold On for Second-Straight Wooster Invite Title

WOOSTER, Ohio – The No. 10 nationally-ranked Case Western Reserve University men's swimming & diving team picked up six top-five finishes on the third and final day of the 2011 College of Wooster Invitational to win the meet for the second-straight season.

The Spartans, also a perfect 8-0 in dual meets, have over a month off for training and will be back in the pool on Saturday, January 21 at Allegheny College (Pa.) at 1:00 p.m.

Case topped the 10-team field with 1,440 points, holding off Ohio Northern University in second at 1,377.5.

The Spartans' top performance of the day came in the 200-yard breaststroke, as sophomore Nick Clyde<http://athletics.case.edu/sports/mswimdive/2011-12/bios/clyde%20nick%20ofnf> (Ann Arbor, Mich./Ann Arbor) placed third in 2:09.68. Classmate Sean Nickley<http://athletics.case.edu/sports/mswimdive/2011-12/bios/nickley%20sean%20ma1b> (Springfield, Va./West Springfield) was right on his heels with a fourth-place mark of 2:09.69.

Also turning in top-five finishes were senior Sam Geiger<http://athletics.case.edu/sports/mswimdive/2011-12/bios/geiger%20sam%204oua> (Westlake, Ohio/St. Edward) in the 1,650 freestyle (4th/16:53.63), freshman Alex Haufler<http://athletics.case.edu/sports/mswimdive/2011-12/bios/haufler%20alex%209393> (Westminster, Md./Francis Scott Key) in the 200 backstroke (4th/1:56.38) and sophomore Gus Bailey<http://athletics.case.edu/sports/mswimdive/2011-12/bios/bailey%20gus%20hnku> (Grove City, Ohio/Grove City) in the 100 free (5th/47.74).

Case's 400 free relay team also closed the meet with a fourth-place finish.

Broadview's Julie Pinter leads B-W 


BEREA, OHIO -- The Baldwin-Wallace College men and women's swimming and diving teams competed in the final day (Saturday, December 3) of the Calvin College Winter Invitational at the Venema Aquatic Center in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

The Yellow Jacket women were led by four-time NCAA Division III All-American junior diver Julie Pinter (Broadview Heights/ Brecksville-Broadview Hts.) who placed second overall in the 1-meter dive with a score of 416.85. Also for the women, the 200-yard medley relay team consisting of sophomores Emma Gerdes (Avon), Angela Musille (Canton/GlenOak), freshman Carli Dugan (Mentor), and junior Kelsey Richards (Wadsworth) finished 16th overall in a time of 1:56.12. Gerdes also placed 12th overall in the 200-yard breaststroke in a time of 2:15.45. Musille also placed 16th overall in the 200-yard breaststroke in a time of 2:32.44.

Leading the men, was senior Nic Null (Shelby/Mansfield St. Peter’s) placing 14th in the men’s 100-yard freestyle in a time of 49.23. Also for the men junior Chris Tuttle (North Royalton) finished 20th overall in a time of 5:08.37 in the men’s 500-yard freestyle. Freshman Bryan Gerber (Sagamore Hills/Nordonia) placed 22nd overall in the men’s 200-yard breaststroke in a time of 2:22.83.  Rounding it out for the men was the 200-yard medley relay team consisting of Null, Gerber, sophomore Ryan Stover (Napoleon), and junior Tony Tijerina (Defiance/Napoleon) who finished 18th overall in a time of 1:45.72.

Both teams next meet is on New Years Day, January 1st at Florida Meet in Sarasota, Fla. vs. Kenyon, Washington (Mo.) and U.S. Coast Guard Academy. The next home meet is on January 13th at 4:00 p.m. in the B-W Natatorium at The Lou Higgins Center.








Ignatius stays undefeated with win over New Trier; earns spot in outdoor hockey title game

St. Ignatius earned a spot in the title game against Gilmour in the Cleveland Indians Snow Days Hockey Invitational with an 8-1 win over New Trier (Illinois) Saturday afternoon.

The Wildcats, undefeated through the first seven games this season, had a 2-0 lead before the game was even a minute old.

Miles McQuinn made it 3-0 with a goal at 4:29 of the first and Liam Geither 4-1 with a lamp lighter at 13:10 of the period.


Geither would have a hat trick before the end of the game and Mike Abood would also add a goal.

With wins over New Trier and Bethel Park, the Wildcats clinched a spot in the title game against Gilmour this morning regardless of the outcome of the round-robin game against the Lancers.

There is still a perfect Storm residing in Painesville

 PAINESVILLE, OHIO –  The Lake Erie College women's basketball team overcame some sloppy play and got big second halves from Alyssa Wagers (Stow, Ohio/Stow-Munroe Falls), Stephanie Rogers (Mentor, Ohio/Mentor) and Cate Cianchetti (Stow, Ohio/Stow-Munroe Falls/Akron) to win its seventh straight game, 68-64 over Hillsdale College Saturday afternoon (Dec. 3) at the Jerome T. Osborne Family Athletic and Wellness Center.

Wagers had her second straight double-double, including 15 points and seven rebounds after halftime, as the Storm improved to 7-0 overall and 2-0 in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) for the first time. 


L to R -- Busson, Zele, Cianchetti


The Storm led by two midway through the first half senior guards Brittany Zele (Geneva, Ohio/Geneva) and Britt Busson (Wadsworth, Ohio/Wadsworth) went on a 9-0 run that extended the lead to 11 points.  Zele hit a pair of jumpers to start the spurt and Busson finished it with a three-pointer and then a steal and fast-break layup that made the score 23-12 with 6:02 left before halftime. 

Hillsdale (3-3, 0-2 GLIAC) , which was just seven-of-30 from the field in the first 20 minutes, including –for-nine from three-point range, closed to within five late in the half, but two Wagers free throws gave the Storm a seven-point lead heading into the locker room.

Lake Erie quickly pushed the lead back into double figures early in the second half, but Hillsdale again cut it to five at 36-31 with 21:43 to play, but a three-point play by Rogers stopped the Chargers' mini run.

It was a seven-point game with 8:32 to play when Cianchetti hit a three to start a 9-0 Storm run that ran the margin to 16 points with 6:44 left.   

However, the visitors had one more run in them.  An uncontested lay-up by Lea Jones made the score 62-57 with 1:14 to go. After Wagers made one-of-two free throws, Cianchetti swiped the ball from Jones on her way to the hoop and Busson hit a pair of free throws to make it an eight-point game. 

After Chelsea Harrison missed a jumper from the wing, Wagers connected for a pair from the line to make it a 10-point lead with 25 seconds left.  Later, Rogers made one-of-two at the line to seal the win.

Wagers finished with game highs of 19 points and 13 rebounds.  She was 11-of-14 from the line and after going 0-for-six from the field in the first half, was four-of-five in the second. She also had five steals.  Rogers, hampered by early foul trouble and who had her double-double streak end at four games, scored 11 of her 13 points in the second half. 

Busson and Cianchetti each finished with 11 points.  Cianchetti hit three three-pointers and scored eight points in the second half.

As a team, the Storm shot 54.5% in the second half after a 31% performance in the first and finished 21-of-51 overall, including seven-of-19 from three-point range.  Lake Erie was 19-of-24 from the foul line, with Wagers, Rogers and Busson accounting for all the attempts.

Katie Bildner led four Chargers in double figures with 15 points and also grabbed 12 rebounds.  Angela Bisaro and Marissa DeMott each scored 13 and Harrison finished with 10 points.

Hillsdale bounced back in the second half to finish 24-of-62 (38.7%) overall from the field, but just six-of-23 (26%) from three-point range. 

Each team committed 23 turnovers in the game.

The Storm will be off for a week for finals before heading to Ashland University on Sunday, Dec. 11 for a GLIAC contest against the Eagles.

Ignatius tunes up for championship game against 

Gilmour with a 7-2 prelim game win over the 

Lancers in the Snow Days fest

St. Ignatius tuned up for today’s championship game against Gilmour with a 7-2 win over the Lancers in the final round-robin game of the Snow Days tournament Saturday here at Progressive Field.

The Wildcats (8-0) had just got done creaming New Trier in their second round-robin game to go 2-0 and earn the right to play host Gilmour in the title game before they had to turn around (with a 10-minute rest) and play Gilmour, which was also 2-0 at the start of the final round-robin game for both clubs.

The game was supposed to be played in the evening but was moved to 3 o’clock, 15 minutes after the slated end of the Ice Cats’ game with New Trier, so that the Iggy guys could travel down to Canton to cheer on their fellow Student/Athletes in the state championship football game.


To start the scoring, Paddy Spellacy took a slapper that Colt Riemenschneider redirected into the net at 25 seconds of the first period. Liam Geither made it 2-0 with a goal at 7:07.

Gilmour experienced some new life at 8:29 of the first period when Alex Rupp and Nick Aleva collaborated on a goal, making it 2-1, but then Ignatius got it right back in the ninth minute when Mike Abood redirected a Spellacy slap, making it 3-1.

 Miles McQuinn 

Joey Malone assisted Miles McQuinn on the fourth Ice Cat goal of the contest. Geither gave McQuinn a nice feed at 1;15 of the third for a power-play goal.

The third line of Danny Brogen, Harry Smith and Beck Schultz got into the act on the sixth Cat goal of the evening.

Aleva scored at 3:50 of the third for the Lancers.

Vikings move to 8-1 with win at Detroit

DETROIT, Mich. - Cleveland State used a balanced scoring attack with three players in double figures and timely baskets and defensive stops down the stretch as the Vikings won their second straight Horizon League game on the road with a 66-61 win at Detroit on Saturday afternoon at Calihan Hall.

CSU improved to 8-1 overall and 2-0 in the Horizon League, while the Titans fell to 3-6 overall and 0-2 in league play.

It is the second straight year that CSU has opened up 2-0 in league play with back-to-back wins on the road both seasons. The Vikings also improved to 5-1 on their current seven game road trip.

Tim Kamczyc and Jeremy Montgomery both scored 12 points to lead the Vikings, while Anton Grady added 11 and D'Aundray Brown scored nine. Grady and Brown both added six rebounds, while Montgomery had three steals and Grady posted three blocked shots.

The Vikings, who came out sporting their black uniforms, wasted little time in jumping on the Titans, scoring the first eight points of the contest to take an 8-0 lead at the 16:52 mark. Kamczyc scored six of the points, finding his way to open spots near the basket for easy layups.

Chase Simon stopped the Viking run with a jumped at the 16:28 mark, but a steal and dunk by Brown pushed CSU's lead back to eight points (10-2) at the 15:40 mark. 

However, Detroit answered with a 12-2 run of its own, capped by a Ray McCallum layup at the 11:32 mark that gave the Titans their first lead of the game, 14-12. Over the next five minutes, the teams were tied six times, the final one coming at 24-24 with 6:41 to play.

That's when a pair of freshman took over for CSU as Charlie Lee hit a pair of free throws and Ike Nwamudrilled back-to-back three pointers as part of an 8-1 CSU run that put the Vikings back up by seven (32-25) with 4:36 to play in the half.

The duo also hooked up for a high flying alley-oop earlier in the half with Lee providing the assist and Nwamu throwing down a one-handed dunk.

With Trey Harmon and Montgomery saddled with two fouls each in the first half and limited to just seven and six minutes respectively, it was CSU's "young guns" who kept the Vikings ahead throughout the first 20 minutes, sending CSU into the locker room with a 37-31 lead.


Nwamu finished the first half with eight points, hitting 3-of-4 from the field, while Lee contributed six points and three assists, playing 14 minutes at the point guard spot. Grady chipped in four points and three rebounds in 10 minutes as the Viking bench provided 18 first half points.

As much as the first half belonged to CSU's freshman, it was the veterans who stepped up and provided the spark in the second half, led by Montgomery who scored 10 of his 12 points in the final 20 minutes. No shot was bigger than his three-pointer with 2:17 left that gave CSU a six point cushion (63-57) after the Titans sliced a 14 point CSU second half lead to three points with a 13-2 run over a six minute stretch.

After a Detroit basket on the other end cut the Viking lead back to four points (63-59), Grady all but sealed the deal when he made a layup and was fouled to give CSU a 65-59 lead with 1:18 left.

Montgomery started the play by working his way around the perimeter into the left corner. He drove the baseline before dishing off to Grady who powered his way through two Titan defenders, finishing the layup and drawing the foul.

The Vikings took control of the game about five minutes into the second half, turning a four point lead (46-42) into a 14 point advantage (58-44) with 8:23 to play on two free throws by Harmon.

But the Titans had one more run, cutting the lead to three before Montgomery's three-pointer and Grady's hoop.

The Vikings shot .444 from the field (24-54) and continued to show why they are one of the top teams in the country at defending the three-point shot, holding the Titans to 1-for-13 (.077). Over the last three games, CSU has limited its opponents to 3-for-35 shooting from three-point.

CSU also held a 32-23 advantage on the glass.

Doug Anderson scored 17 points to lead the Titans, while Ray McCallum scored 14. Chase Simon, who came in leading the Horizon League at 17.4 points per game, was held in check by Brown, and finished with just six points.

The Vikings are back in action on Thursday (Dec. 8) when CSU concludes its current seven game road trip with a 7:00 p.m. contest at Robert Morris.

Storm Wrestlers Fall on Road at Seton Hill

GREENSBURG, PA. –  In the Lake Erie College wrestling team’s first home match a year ago, the Storm shocked a more experienced Seton Hill University squad for 30-14 victory. But on Saturday (Dec. 3), it was the Griffins who returned the favor with a 24-19 home victory over the Storm at Salvitti Gymnasium in Greensburg, Pa.

The loss drops Lake Erie to 2-2 in dual competition this season.  Seton Hill improves to 4-0 with the win.

The Griffins took the first four matches on the day, three by decision, to take a commanding 15-0 lead early on.  The match not settled by decision featured a bit of bad luck for the green and white at 133 pounds, as sophomore Kevin Brunner (Avon Lake, Ohio/Avon Lake) injured his knee on a takedown and was pinned by James Henderson. 

Lake Erie then won three straight to get back into the contest.  Sophomore Tyler Tesny (Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio/Cuyahoga Falls) earned a 6-0 decision at 157 pouds and freshman Matt Vandermeer (Clarkston, Mich./Clarkston) pinned Kurt McCamley at 165 pounds.

Vandermeer improved to 10-1 on the season with this third pin of the year.

At 174 pounds, sophomore Zev Green (Marysville, Ohio/Marysville) picked up a 2-0 win over Randall Wagner,upping his mark to 6-1 on  the year and closing the Storm within 15-12, but Zach Benzio won a major decision at 184 pounds to push the margin back to 19-12.

Sophomore Josh Linden (Broadview Heights, Ohio/Brecksville-Broadview Heights) was awarded a forfeit at 197 pounds to bring LEC within one point, but Ron Oswald claimed a technical fall victory in the heavyweight bout to close out the contest and give the Griffins the team victory.

OWU Men's Soccer Wins 2011 NCAA Div. III NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP (12/3/11)

San Antonio, Texas -- The Ohio Wesleyan men's soccer team captured the 2011 NCAA Div. III National Championship with a 2-1 victory over Calvin on Saturday night at the Blossom Soccer Complex in San Antonio, Texas.

The Battling Bishops (23-2-0), led by legendary head coach Jay Martin, earned the program's second national title all-time after also taking home the Walnut & Bronze in 1998.

In addition, Martin became the winningest coach in NCAA history (all divisions) with the victory as his career record now stands at 608-115-49. He surpassed Joe Bean who previously held the record after compiling 607 wins from 1962-2006 at Quinnipiac, Bridgeport and Wheaton (IL).

The Bishops and Knights were caught in a defensive struggle for much of the first half, but OWU finally lit up the scoreboard in the 39th minute. Sophomore Paolo Bucci (Dublin, OH/Bishop Watterson) slipped a pass to senior All-American Travis Wall (Columbs, OH/Upper Arlington) who beat the Calvin goalie to give OWU a 1-0 lead. Just two minutes later, Bucci fired a shot of his own in the back of the net to give the Bishops a 2-0 halftime advantage.

Calvin made things interesting in the 51st minute with a goal by Travis Vegter, but OWU junior goalie Paul Hendricks (Columbus, OH/Worthington Kilbourne) and the defensive unit bowed their necks and stymied the Calvin offensive attack down the stretch to lead the Bishops to the national crown.

The 2011-12 athletic season is shaping up to be one of the most successful in North Coast Athletic Conference history as it is the first time that two teams (excluding swimming) have captured NCAA Div. III team titles in the same season. The Wittenberg volleyball won its first national title two weeks ago with a 3-0 victory over Christopher Newport in St. Louis, Missouri.

Oberlin swimming wraps up day three

Wooster, Ohio- The Oberlin College swimming and diving team wrapped up day three of the Wooster Invitational Saturday night. The men and women both finished eight place out of ten teams. The men scored 522.5 points, while the women just edged NCAC opponent Allegheny for an eighth place finish with 344 points. Allegheny managed 342 points.
For the men, Luke Harrison finished in 17th place in the 200 butterfly. His finishing time was 2:01.42. Head coach Mark Fino was impressed by harrison’s race and thought that he finished the meet strong. Bud Stracker took ninth place in the 200 breaststroke with a time of 2:12.92. Jebran Haddad was close behind with a 13th place finish, clocking in a 2:15.16. Chris Pickens took 13th in the 1650 yard freestyle with a time of 17:04.31.
Freshman standout Chris McLauchlan won the one and three meter diving competitions for the Yeomen. He scored a 420.45 in the one meter competion, while scoring a 437.05 in the three meter.
For the women, Christine Simone took 11th place 2:16.52. Kate Melanson finished 18th  with a time of 2:17.89. Ellen Drake took 15thin the 1650 freestyle with a time of 18:59.73. Anna Saltzman took 18th in the 100 yard freestyle with a time of 55.77. Simone also took 11th in the 200 butterfly with a time of 2:16.52.
Fino thought his team swam pretty well, and they are improving with each competition. He thought they finished day three strong, and he highlighted the butterfly, breaststroke, and relay races. He is happy with where they are at and is excited to have the almost month long break for both of his teams to improve. The swim team hosts Ohio Northern after their Christmas and New Year’s break. The Polar Bears come to Oberlin on January 13th.