A Page -- Feb. 14, 2010

Mayfield wins first Baron Cup ever; 

Jake Malone's nine-minute hat trick 

sparks rout of Bay

Feb. 14, 2010


By Norm Weber

Student/Athlete-Cleveland Editor




BROOKLYN   --Senior forward Jake Malone wasted no time by achieving a speedy hat trick with three goals in the first 8:51 to begin the march to Mayfield’s first Baron Cup III championship today here in the Coyne Recreation Center, the Wildcats doing so with a 7-0 win over Bay.


Bay, the cardiac kids of the tournament with two victories in a combined five overtimes to get into the title game, appeared to be tired from the get go, due to playing three games (14 periods with the overtimes factored in) in fewer than 48 hours starting at 4:30 Friday.


“Fatigue was a factor and coupled with their depth, it made it hard for us to come back after getting down 3-0,” said Bay assistant coach Todd Fischel.


Malone got it started with his first goal in the third minute without an assist and then put the damper on a small crack of light for Bay when he scored a shorthanded goal at 5:16 with assists from Anthony Krueger and Joe Cavotta.


Krueger assisted Malone again at 8:51 and then followed with a goal of his own at 4:06 of the second to make it 4-0. Malone and Ryan Kristoff assisted.


“Part of our plan was to go right at them because we knew they would be tired after all those overtime periods,” said Malone, who will be playing for Ohio University’s nationally ranked club team next year while studying physical education in Athens. “We knew we could catch them off guard and that if we scored fast, we could take this one.”


The onslaught continued at 10:12 of the second when DeMario Rood scored a short-handed goal that was assisted by Jake Wolfe and made it 5-0.


“It has been the case that whenever I score, the other guys get going,” said Malone, who now has 48 goals on the season. “I’ve had about seven hat tricks this season but none this fast. It’s not how fast it came that is important to me but that it came in a game that really means something made it one hat trick I will remember.”


Mayfield (19-7-2) began its hockey program in the late 1990s and has had several competitive teams, but none well enough to win a Baron Cup such as this one was able to accomplish.


“This was the goal for the guys all year,” said Mayfield coach Steve Bogas. “Now they realize it was all worth it.”


Rood and Wolfe added third-period goals.

Greater Cleveland High School Hockey League

US, Kenston claim most first-team 

hockey all-stars; Iggy, WRA, River, 

Mayfield also very present on first-

team squads

Feb. 14, 2010


By Norm Weber

Student/Athlete-Cleveland Editor




BROOKLYN -- University School and Kenston each claimed three first-team selections on the Greater Cleveland High School Hockey League all-star teams, while Cleveland Heights, St. Ignatius, Western Reserve, Rocky River and Mayfield each had two.


The defending state title champion Preppers claimed goalie Jamie Regan, and forwards Matt Wipper and Ian Robinson on the first team for the Red Division. They also had defenseman Andy Gerow on the second team.


The Wildcats, top ranked in the state, had forward Paddy Spellacy and defenseman Sam Nader on the Red first team. Also Iggy’s Pat O’Rourke was named Coach of the Year.


Thirty-game winner Kenston led the grouping of White Division all stars with forwards Colton Deeter and Greg Revak on the first team along with defenseman Zack Zinney, and goalie Doug Revak on the second team. Coach Jim Revak also took the top coaching honor in the division.


River had forward Greg Soltes and goalie Bridget Gipper on the first team and defenseman Travis Pescatrice on the second team. WRA had Alex Fredette and Ben McIntosh.


Mayfield and Cleveland Heights collectively dominated the Blue Division all-stars with Wildcats forward Jake Malone and defenseman Joe Wilson making the first team and goalie Matt Mramer making the second team, and Tigers forward Jordan Shoger and goalie Liam Robinson making first team and coach Ed Babcox getting the coaching award.


Also making Red Division first team were Walsh Jesuit’s Nate Mayeroff and Lake Catholic’s Andrew Gezdak, while the Warriors’ Dan Filice, St. Edward’s Ross Kivett, Shaker’s Sam Buddenbaum and Aaron Goodman, and Padua’s Matt Hartman and Justin Goebel made the second team.

6 S McBride.jpg (55810 bytes)



Making third team in the Red Division were Hudson’s Jake Collins and Evan Hablitzel, North Olmsted’s Sean McBride and Casey Jones, Elyria Catholic’s Mitch Haszto and Strongsville’s Justin Jakubik.

14 Jones.jpg (78448 bytes)



Trinity’s Fred Krause, Avon Lake’s Ben Sherman and Mentor’s Nick Kirschner were noted as honorable mentions in the Red.



Second teamers in the White included Olmsted Falls’ Cory Daugherty, Brecksville’s Tony O’Neil, Holy Name’s Dave Fassbender, and Chagrin Falls’s Matt Markley.


Amherst’s Shamus Sorrell, Benedictine’s Bo Zimmer, Normandy’s Louis Sawchick, Hoover’s Eli Jones and Solon’s Kyle Peterson made up honorable mention group for the White.



Also on the Blue Division first team were Orange’s Brent Lieberman, CVCA’s Luke Sunde, and Parma’s Jake Szafarski.. Garfield’s Joey Bucell and Mike Lange and Elliott Hastings, Euclid’s Chris Burke, Bay’s Alex Harris, Orange’s Mitch Joseph, Parma’s Dave Lahman, and Lakewood’s Alex Hudock made up the rest of the second team.



Honorable mention honors in the Blue went to Aurora’s Aaron Jaskiewicz, Brooklyn’s Tony Mobley, Brush’s Brian Swain, Canfield’s Riley Emery, Kent’s Tim Lowther, Midview’s Dom Szpak, Nordonia’s Joe Kramp, NDLC’s Ryan Walczak, Twinsburg’s Mike Hazelden and West Geauga’s Ryan Henry.

Twinsburg Varsity Hockey


St. Edward alumnus, Avon Lake 

resident Reid Anderson scores 

game-high 18 to lead Case 

Reserve past Emory, 65-63

By Creg Jantz

CLEVELAND (February 14, 2010) - The Case Western Reserve University men's basketball team had three players score in double figures this afternoon as they defeated visiting Emory University, 65-63, in University Athletic Association (UAA) action.  It was Case Western Reserve's (13-9, 5-6 UAA) fourth straight UAA victory.

Junior guard Reid Anderson (Avon Lake) led the way with a game-high 18 poinits, senior guard Bryan Erce (Berwyn, IL) was right behind him with 15 and sophomore forward Tom Summers (Murrysville, PA) added 12. Erce added eight rebouunds and a team-high five assists.

The Spartans travel to St. Louis Friday to face two-time National Champions, Washington University, in an 8:00 p.m. (CST) contest. 

Case Western Reserve jumped ahead 11, 18-7, at 12:16 with a three-pointer by junior guard Colin Mulholland (Jacksonville, FL) and also led by 11, 31-20, with 7:18 left in the first half.  Emory (14-8, 6-5 UAA) then went on a 15-7 run to cut the Spartans' lead to three, 38-35, on a long ball by Alex Gulotta.  Case Western Reserve ended the half shooting 68 percent and led, 43-25, at the break.

After a 57-57 tie with seven minutes left in the game, the lead would change five times before the clock would hit zero. A Michael Friedberg jumper at 5:18 put the Eagles up one, 62-61, then both teams went scoreless until 1:09 when Erce put the Spartans up one, 63-62, with a pair of free throws. Emory tied it at 63-63 with just under a minute left before Anderson would hit the game-winner, a layup, with 11 seconds on the clock.

Walsh Jesuit alumnus Tony Dipre, 

Hudson's Dave Burke receive

top weekly honors in NCAC indoor 


Feb. 14, 2010


By Sue Penicka


WESTLAKE -- Hudson’s David Burke was named the men’s field athlete of the week and Walsh Jesuit alum Tony Dipre was tabbed top distance runner of the week in the North Coast Athletic Conference, the league office here announced today.



Men’s Field - David Burke, Ohio Wesleyan
Ohio Wesleyan senior David Burke (Hudson, OH/Hudson) won the triple jump (44 feet, 1.5 inches) and was third in the long jump (21 feet, 6.25 inches) at the All-Ohio Championships.

[ David Burke ]


Men’s Distance - Tony Dipre, Allegheny
Allegheny senior Tony Dipre (Twinsburg, OH/Walsh Jesuit) placed 15th of 205 runners in the mile at the Boston University Valentine Invitational. His time of 4:10.28 was an NCAA “B” cut time. He was also part of the NCAA provisional-qualifying distance medley relay that finished sixth of 30 teams (10:03.32).



KENYON hosted the non-scored Kenyon Invitational. Sophomore Pat Meyers (Media, PA/Penncrest) finished fourth in both the men’s 800 (2:02.23) and mile (4:27.40). The Ladies’ 4x400-meter relay set a school record for the second week in a row. Posting a third-place finish and setting the mark (4:11.21) were Alexia Derkasch (Reisterstown, MD/Franklin), Kirkley Doyle (Madison, WI/Madison West), Beth Dahlburg (Alexandria, VA/West Potomac) and Cary Watts (Shaker Hts., OH/Laurel School).

DENISON Sophomore Dee Salukombo (Lakewood, OH/Lakewood)was third in the mile (4:20.32)at the All Ohio.

Lakewood's Dee Salukombo








Series of quick momentum swings 

finally subside as Rocky River 

repeats as Baron Cup II

champions; Max Lurie's first career 

hat trick as a Pirate swings the 

pendulum west of both 

rivers in the end


Feb. 14, 2010


By Norm Weber

Student/Athlete-Cleveland Editor                                                                                                                                                                     



BROOKLYN – Max Lurie’s first career high school hat trick and a timely goal by Kyle Lamb propelled Rocky River to repeat status in the Baron Cup II championship, in the local rec center here today.


Lamb’s goal at 8:44 of the third period that made it 5-4 turned out to create the longest lived lead of the evening by either team (the remaining 6:16 of the game) as the Pirates repeated as champions, handing Kenston only its second loss of the season against 30 wins.


“We did not play them, but we knew it would take an effort in which we would have to score on every good opportunity we had,” said Lurie, who last had a hat trick in Squirts. “All of those goals were just good scoring chances; I was right in front of the net and got a good pass each time.”



Top-seeded Kenston, the White East winner, had two leads that were erased quickly by the Pirates.


“It was a fun game to watch,” said Kenston coach Jim Revak. “We got off to a slow start early but then found what we needed to do. There were just so many momentum shifts in this one. We can’t be unhappy with our season; we started off 23-0 and won our division.”


No. 2 seeded Rocky River, the White West champs, took the early lead when Lurie scored at 1:34 of the first period off assists from Eric Sperli and Kyle Lamb.


They wasted no time in making it 2-0, captain Greg Soltes scoring at 3:03 with an assist from Matt Garibaldi.


The Bombers would not go gently into that good night though, getting one back on an unassisted tally by Greg Revak at 3:58.


They then tied it, 2-2, at 8:05 with an odd-man rush on a short-hand deal, Nick Levine scoring the goal with Zack Kinney garnering the assist off the side-by-side skate down the ice.


It remained tied at two once the first 15 minutes were in the books.


The second period started off slowly with not too many scoring threats presenting themselves for either team, but then the trend of short-lived leads lived on through to the end of the period almost the same as it had in the first period.


Kenston grabbed its first lead of the afternoon when it as working the puck in the River zone on a power play and subsequently Kinney took a slap shot from the point that was redirected into the net by Kyle Weninger at 9:26 of the second. Jordan Manke also assisted on the goal.


However, the Bombers were able to enjoy that for all of 43 seconds as the Pirates tied it, 3-3, at10:09 on Lurie’s second goal of the game. Kyle Lamb assisted.


After a holding penalty on Pirates, the Bombers had a power play for the final two minutes of the second period, but River special teams killed the chance.


Through two periods, River’s lone two-goal lead lasted for 55 seconds, its second on-goal lead for just over four minutes and Kenston’s only lead breathed for only 43 seconds.


Then Kenston went ahead again in the third (but only briefly) when Weninger had a takeaway in the River zone and had a straight on shot at River goalie Bridget Gipper, making it 4-3 at 4:31.


This Bomber lead lasted for all of 32 seconds as River really would not allow long-term loans on the momentum holdings in this one.  Lurie lit the lamp for the third time at 5:03 with an assist from Sperli.


Sperli then attained the playmaker by setting up Lamb in front of the net with Lurie getting it to Sperli.


“He dished it out to me in the slot and just hit it hard,” Lamb said. “Although we did not see them this season, we knew what it would take. They can tend to get passive on defense so it was a matter of just looking for their lapses.”

Ian Robinson's overtime goal on slap 

from the blue gives US its seventh 

Baron Cup title

Feb. 14, 2010


By Norm Weber

Student/Athlete-Cleveland Editor




BROOKLYN – As a full week of Baron Cup play ended with today’s championship triple header here culminating in University School’s, 3-2, Baron Cup I championship victory over St. Ignatius, high school hockey enters four weeks of state tournament play beginning tomorrow both here and in Kent.


The Preppers (18-`10-2) made the difference in overtime when Ian Robinson scored the game winner with a slapshot from the Blue Line at 3:14 of the extra eight-minute frame.


US made the first step toward garnering its seventh Baron Cup championship by taking a 1-0 lead in the first period on a goal by assistant captain Sam Turben at 7:22 of the first period that was assisted by Travis Lang and Ian Robertson.


The lead stood until the end of the period as St. Ignatius goaltender Matt Kovesdy and Preppers’ Jamie Regan traded saves at each end for the whole second half of the first period.


Not to be outdone, the Wildcats got it back at 3:17 of the second when offensively explosive defenseman Sam Nader tallied without an assist at 3:17.


The Preppers regained the lead smack in the middle of the period at 7:30 when Joe Grisko scored with an assist from Alex Stefanski and Andy Gerow.


Iggy (25-7-3) sent it into overtime with a Nolan Schade goal at 2:11 of the third that was assisted by Jake Riemenschneider.

With Billy Davis back, Gilmour beats 

Bethel Park twice, Mount Lebanon; 

St. Ed nips GA,  Bethel Park; Lake 

Catholic tops BP in GA ice tourney

Feb. 14, 2010


By Norm Weber

Student/Athlete-Cleveland Editor




GATES MILLS – Billy Davis returned on offense after a season-long injury and newly converted defenseman Nate Burke anchored the defense as Gilmour Academy won its own rendition of the “Baron Cup” today with its 8-2 win over Bethel Park.


The school of independent thinkers, GA is the only school in the Cleveland area with a high school varsity hockey team that does compete in the Greater Cleveland High School Hockey League.


So then rather than sit around and be idle while waiting for the state tournament to begin (tomorrow both in Kent and Brooklyn), the Lancers host their own tournament on their own campus to prepare for states.

The GA seniors playing in their last game included; Four year lettermen, Billy Davis, Zach Buehner, Graham Boduszek, Brian Anton, Nathaniel Burke and three year lettermen Eddie Asher.

The Lancers invited Holy Cross “brother” school and Lake Catholic to participate in it as well.


The Eagles got the better the Lancers on the first night of the tournament in the battle of two schools both with their origins rooted in South Bend, 3-2. GA took a 1-0 lead on a PP goal by Brian Anton early in the first period.


St. Edward tied the score with Ross Kivett’s first goal of the game off a faceoff with 12 seconds left in the first. Gilmour scored in the middle of the second as Matt Grider scored a short handed goal.


Andy Novack for St. Edward tied it with 3 minutes to go in the second. The game remained locked until Kivett took a nice pass on the back door with 2 second left as Gilmour failed to clear the puck from its zone.


Graham Boduszek had 22 saves on 25 shots for GA, while for St. Eds Justin Wisniewski had 25 saves on 27 shots.


In double overtime, Gilmour then beat Bethel Park, 3-2, to raise its record 22-15-1.

After getting blown out in its first game by Lake Catholic, Bethel Park put up a tough fight against Gilmour before dropping this one in extra frames.


The Lancers took got behind on a PP goal but then took the lead on goals by Gordon Wells and Brian Anton. Bethel tied it up late on another PP goal and forced the overtime. The tournament overtime format calls for 3-3 for 4 minutes.


Both teams had good chances but Oliver Flesher for the Lancers and Bethel’s goalie kept the game locked up at 2.


The second overtime period calls for 2-2 for three minutes. In the second minute of play, Gordon Wells raced up the ice and after getting some pressure from the Bethel player, pulled up at the top of the circle and slid a nice backhand pass to Zach Buehner who had jumped into the play. Buehner moved to his backhand and slid the puck five hole for the OT winner.


Flesher had 21 saves in goal.


Mt. Carmel, IL edgd St. Ed, 2-, as the Eagles fell to 14-14-2. Josh Greenaker had the only Eagle goal. Seth Tettaton had 19 saves on 21 shots in goal.


Gilmour then beat Mt. Lebanon, 5-3 to move to 23-15-1. Spencer Antunez had two goals, while Wells, Davis, Asher each had one. Boduszek had 15 saves on 18 shots.

St. Edward then beat Bethel Park, 3-0, to climb back above .500 at 15-14-2. Kivett had two goals and CJ Hoy. Tetttaton saved all 23 shots.


Gilmour, which will go into the state tourney at 24-15-1, then beat  Bethel Park, 8 1 in a “championship” game.


While Gilmour had the second best record in their brackett, Bethel and Mt. Lebanon are going to play each other in a state game coming up this weekend and they asked if they could play someone else.


So the Lancers switched their game to the early starting time so Bethel and Mt. Lebanon would not have to meet each other. The early morning did not affect the Lancers.


After giving up a short-handed goal to start the game, the Lancers scored eight unanswered goals. Spencer Antunez scored his first hat trick of his Varsity A career and he also added an assist for a four-point game.


Matt Panzo had three assists as his line scored four of the eight goals. Eddie Asher scored had the fourth goal for this line. Brian Anton continued his streak of scoring at least one goal in his last five games.


Billy Davis, playing in his fourth game since coming back from his injury, scored his second goal and added an assist. Brad Baker scored and so did Kevin Rizzo. Rizzo, up from the B team, has produced in almost every game.


Rizzo also added an assist. Gordon Wells had two assists and Matt Grider, Chris Deming and Zach Buehner each added an assist.

Lake Catholic beat Bethel Park, 9-1.  Andrew Mitch, Kevin Bruss, and Andrew Gazdak each scored two Cougar goalsTom Michals, Matt London, and Jeremy Pittsenberger each scored one. Brandon Malm saved 20 of 21 shots for LC.

Mike Haszto, Jr. (16)

Led by North Ridgeville native and 

Elyria Catholic grad Mike Haszto, 

University of Central Oklahoma 

sweeps Illini for the first time ever in 

Champaign, increasing chances of 

returning to collegiate hockey 


Feb. 14, 2010

The University of Central Oklahoma has been burning the collegiate ices lately.

#13 UCO needed 4 wins on the road the past 10 days over higher ranked schools to strengthen their chances of going to their 2nd straight ACHA Division I Hockey National Championship.
The Bronchoes (24-10-2) did not disappoint. 
On the road versus #10 Arizona State, Central Oklahoma scored 4-2 and 5-4 victories.  North Ridgeville native and Elyria Catholic grad Mike Haszto, who moved up to forward to help strengthen their offense, tallied his fourth goal of the year in the opening game.
Mike Haszto Jr.
This past weekend, while on the road at "The Pond" at the University of Illinois (ranked #4), UCO swept the Fighting Illini (where they had never won) 1-0 and 3-2.  Haszto scored the game winning goal in the second game on Saturday night, a power play marker at 7:10 of the third period to cap a comeback that saw them down 2-09 at the end of the 1st period.  That was Haszto's fifth goal of the season.

The seedings of the 16 team National Championships will be announced friday.  Seven teams have already qualified, being their respective conference champions.  UCO is an Independent team vying for an at large bid.
Cuyahoga Falls native Morgan Korinek

Falls' Morgan Korinek scores game-

high 18 points; Chagrin's Kat Powers 

grabs four rebounds to lead Kenyon

GAMBIER, Ohio (February 13, 2010) Sixteen different players ran the court and 11 scored at least one point for the Kenyon College women's basketball team, which recovered from a slow start and defeated the Earlham College Quakers, 60-41, Saturday afternoon at Tomsich Arena.

The Ladies fell behind 10-5 after the first six minutes of play, but roughly one minute later a three-pointer from junior Elana Carlson (Sudbury, MA/Lincoln-Sudbury) not only sparked the Kenyon offense, but ignited the defense. The Ladies took the lead for good at the 12:26 mark of the first half, and after giving up 10 points in the game's first six minutes, they allowed just 35 points over the final 34 minutes. The Quakers' total of 41 points and their lackluster .241 shooting percentage were both season-lows for any Kenyon opponent this season.

In the scoring department, Kenyon sophomore Morgan Korinek (Cuyahoga Falls, OH/Woodridge) led all players with 18 points. Freshmen Kayla Ernst (Batavia, OH/Batavia) and Katie Adlam (Carmel, IN/University School) added 11 and 7 points, respectively, while Carlson finished with six. As a team, the Ladies shot 45.1 percent, dished out 13 assists, and tied a season-high with six blocked shots.

Although Earlham (3-20, 2-12 NCAC) held a slight 39-36 edge in rebounding, Korinek managed to grab a game-high nine boards. Ernst snared five rebounds and both Carlson and Kat Powers (Chagrin Falls, OH/Chagrin Falls) had four. Carlson also added three assists and two steals to her final stat line.