B Page -- Oct. 24, 2011

Four-Goal Opening Stanza Leads Spartans to 6-1 Victory Versus Westminster

NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. – The Case Western Reserve University men's soccer team tied a season-high with six goals, including a goal and two assists each from All-American senior forward Vinny Bell (Parma Heights, Ohio/Valley Forge) and freshman forward Patrick O’Day (Plano, Texas/Plano Senior) en route to racing past home-standing Westminster University (Pa.) by a 6-1 score on Saturday afternoon. The five-goal victory marks the final non-conference match for the Spartans.

Case Western Reserve, 12-3 overall and 3-1 in the University Athletic Association, returns to action with a pair of key conference road matches next weekend starting at the University of Chicago (Ill.) on Friday, October 28, at 3:00 p.m. (CDT).

As a team entering Saturday’s match, the Spartans were averaging just under three goals per contest. It didn’t take long for Case Western Reserve to get the high-scoring offense in motion as senior midfielder Kyle Alsup (Avon, Ohio/Detroit Country Day (Mich.)) scored on a penalty kick in the fourth minute. The goal marked the first penalty kick conversion for the Spartans this season as well as the first score this fall and fifth of his career for the fourth-year Spartan.

Case increased its lead to 2-0 just over 11 minutes later when junior forward Eric Erb (Worthington, Ohio/Thomas Worthington) scored his seventh goal of the season on an assist by Bell. The visitors then bumped that lead to 3-0 in the 30th minute when Bell notched his UAA-leading 18th goal via assists by sophomore midfielder Dominic Carusone (Kettering, Ohio/Dayton Carroll) and O’Day. Not done yet, junior midfielder Rene Silva (Hudson, Ohio/Western Reserve Academy) tallied the Spartans fourth goal of the opening stanza in the 37th minute following a throw-in by junior defender Sam Kuehnle (Toledo, Ohio/Ottawa Hills).

The score remained that way through the halftime break and opening minutes of the second half until Westminster got on the board in the 69th minute when Anthony Humes scored on an assist from Michael Dever.

The Spartans made it 5-1 in the 76th minute when O’Day tallied his 10th goal of his freshman season on a helper by Bell. Just four minutes later, the final goal of the match for Case came from freshman defender Ryan Meyer (Lebanon, Ohio/Bishop Fenwick). The first-year Spartan recorded his first collegiate score in the 80th minute on classmate Ryan Finstad (Rochester, Mich./Rochester Stoney Creek) first career assist and O’Day seventh.

In net, Spartan senior goalkeeper Ben Yabrow (Marietta, Ga./George Walton Comprehensive) started and played the opening 45:00 between the pipes and collected a save to earn the win before being relieved by junior Ryan Koepka (Venetia, Pa./Peters Township). Koepka started the second half logging 29:09 before freshman Jay Darby (Flower Mound, Texas/Argyle) tallied two saves in the final 15:51 of action. Westminster's Adam Kephart played the opening 45 minutes and made two saves, while Joe Bonish played the final 45:00 racking up five saves.

Case outshot Westminster by a 15-9 count on the afternoon but Westminster managed five corners compared to four for the Spartans.

'BERG FOOTBALL RUNS PAST MARIETTA, 42-20; St. Ed's alumnus Germany Woods posts 200-yard game

MARIETTA, Ohio-Sophomore second-team All-Ohio Athletic Conference running
back Germany Woods (Cleveland/Lakewood St. Edward) rushed for a game-high
226 yards and sophomore running back/kick returner Cartel Brooks (Kokomo,
Ind./Galion) had 191 rushing yards on just 11 carries to lead the Heidelberg
University football team past Marietta, 42-20, today in a conference game at
Don Drumm Stadium in Marietta, Ohio.  The Student Princes defeated the
Pioneers for the fourth consecutive year and improve to 29-20 all-time
against Marietta.
Germany Woods


The Berg scored three touchdowns in each of the second and fourth quarters.
Both Woods and Brooks rushed for two scores.

The game was broadcast live on the 'Berg Athletics Network
(http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/heidelberg.portal) and an archived
recording of the broadcast will be available.

Fifth-year head coach Mike Hallett's team improves to 5-2 overall, 4-2 in
the OAC and 2-1 in road contests.  Marietta falls to 2-5 overall and 1-5 in
the OAC.

The rushing attack accounted for a season-high 456 of the offense's 530
total yards.  Defensively, the Berg limited Marietta to just 33 rushing
yards and got to Pioneer quarterbacks for a season-high eight sacks.
Sophomore linebacker Adam Cepik (Lodi/Cloverleaf) and junior defensive
lineman Andy Lovins (Clinton Township, Mich./Lakeshore) each had two sacks.

Woods has rushed for 100 or more yards in five of seven games this season
and in nine of his last 11 contests dating back to last season.  The last
time the Berg had two 100-yard rushers was coincidentally against Marietta
on Nov. 7, 2009 when current graduate assistant coach Jemar Lewis and Kenny
Sims had 169 and 103 yards, respectively.

The Pioneers took a 7-0 lead with 2:43 on the clock in the first quarter
after quarterback Andrew Keller found Tannon Roberts for a 69-yard TD pass.
Nathan Zarnoski's point-after-touchdown attempt was good.

After the teams traded possessions, freshman quarterback Michael Mees (North
Ridgeville) put the Berg on the board at the 9:03 mark of the second quarter
with a seven-yard TD run--his second in as many games-to cap a seven-play,
76-yard drive.  Junior kicker Dan Kilger's (Novi, Mich./Novi) PAT tied the
score, 7-7.

Marietta answered on its ensuing drive when Keller again connecting with
Roberts, this time for a 59-yard pitch-and-catch, on a drive that went 72
yards in four plays.  Zarnoski's extra point gave the Pioneers a 14-7 with
7:34 remaining in the opening half.

The Student Princes assumed possession with 5:34 left in the second quarter
and Brooks took the ball 63 yards to pay dirt on the first play of the
drive.  Kilger again tied the score, 14-14, with his PAT.

With the first half clock ticking down, Woods gave Heidelberg its first lead
of the game at 21-14 with just 29 seconds left in the period with a one-yard
plunge into the end zone.  Woods keyed the 12-play scoring drive, providing
64 of the 67 yards on 10 carries.

On their opening possession of the third quarter, the Pioneers traveled 67
yards in 14 plays, but a 20-yard field goal attempt by Zarnoski missed.

Both teams traded punts throughout much of the third quarter, until Keller
scored on a one-yard rush on the last play of the period, culminating a
five-play, 70-yard drive.  Senior linebacker Andy Fadenholz
(Grafton/Keystone) blocked Zarnoski's PAT to preserve a 21-20 Student Prince

The Berg's ensuing drive started the fourth quarter.  Woods led the offense
down field with 34 more rushing yards, but on fourth down-and-seven from the
Marietta 12-yard line, Kilger's 29-yard field attempt sailed wide left.

Mees hooked up with junior wide receiver Josh Lynch (Dayton/Meadowdale) for
a five-yard TD pass with 9:11 to play to extend the Berg's lead to 28-20.
Kilger again provided the PAT.  The TD toss was the 13th of the season for
Mees, and the second TD reception of the season for Lynch.

Woods and Brooks gave the Student Princes insurance TD's with a three-yard
rush at the 3:36 mark and an 83-yard scamper with 1:14 seconds left.

Junior cornerback Justin Suddeth (Akron/Warren Howland) totaled a
game-high-tying 11 tackles.  Cepik tallied eight stops and sophomore
linebacker Dawson Gore (Bellevue) and junior linebacker Craig Sykes
(Centerburg) each had seven hits.  Sykes also made his team-leading fourth
interception.  Junior defensive back Larry Massey (Detroit, Mich./Groves)
also had an INT, his second of the year.

Marietta was led offensively by Keller, who was 26-of-49 passing for 412
yards with two TD passes and a TD run.  Chad Waer had game-highs of 10
receptions and 143 yards.  Jake Green had 11 tackles for the Pioneers.

Woods now has 913 rushing yards in 171 attempts, averages 130.4 yards per
game and 5.3 per rush and has five rushing TDs.

Heidelberg returns to the gridiron Saturday, Oct. 22 when it hosts
Wilmington College at 1:30 p.m. at Mayer Field in Tiffin.  The Quakers lost
to Baldwin-Wallace College earlier today, 75-0, in Wilmington.  Tiffin-area
youth football players will receive free admission to the game, and their
parents can purchase two tickets for the price of one, with their football

Fourth-Quarter Heroics Fall Short on Senior Day for Oberlin Football

Oberlin, Ohio – Junior quarterback Josh Mandel threw for a school record 454 yards on a school record 63 attempts, but it was enough as the Yeomen’s comeback attempt against Washington University fell short, 24-21, and in turn spoiled Senior Day for the Yeomen.

Mandel, who was 38-of-63 with three TDs and two picks, wasn’t the only who had a career day on the Yeomen offense as Robin Witjes caught 13 passes for 176 yards, both of which tie for third all-time. Senior Dan Weintraub also had a day he will never forget, snagging five balls for a career-high 126 yards to go along with two touchdowns. Mandel's 454 yards tops that of former Yeomen great and current quarterback's coach Greg Mangan who had 367 yards against Heidelberg in 2007.

The game was nearly Déjà vu of last year’s 21-7 loss at Wash U when Oberlin won nearly every statistical category, but lost the game.  Today the Yeomen out-gained the Bears (462-300), had more first downs (23-12), ran more offensive plays (85-59), more than doubled up their passing yards (458-212) and won the time of possession battle 33:08 to 26:52.

Despite moving the ball all game long the Yeomen entered the fourth quarter down 21-0. However it didn’t take them long into the frame to finally find paydirt as Mandel found a streaking Weintraub down the far side for a 70-yard scoring strike on the very first play of the quarter.

The Yeomen defense then forced the Bears to go three-and-out on their next two possessions. Taking over with 10:40 left to play Mandel marched the Yeomen 82 yards on just seven plays as he ended the drive with a picture perfect pass into the corner of the endzone to Weintraub from 22 yards to make it just a one score game. The drive used just 2:31 off the clock.

On the ensuing Bears drive it appeared the Oberlin defense forced another three-and-out, but on 3rd-and-7 from their own 33, Washington quarterback Dan Burkett hooked up with Mike McGovern for a 43-yard gain along the near sideline, however, it appeared to most that McGovern had landed out of bounds on the catch. The big play eventually led to the Bears tacking on a 37-yard field goal to make it a 24-14 game with 4:04 left to play.

Oberlin responded with a big play of its own as senior Drew Mixter took the ensuing kickoff back 59 yards all the way down to the Bears’ 18-yardline. From there the Yeomen would cash in their third TD of the quarter as Mandel found senior Cory Kidd running along the backside of the endzone from six-yards out.

With just over two minutes remaining, the Yeomen attempted an onside kick, but unfortunately the Bears recovered. However, OC still had one last chance.

Wash U managed to use just 22 seconds off of the clock, thanks to some stiff OC defense and two Yeomen timeouts. Following the punt, Oberlin took control of the ball at their own 18 with 1:43 left and no timeouts. The drive started with an 18-yard pass play to Witjes and later featured a 10-yard hook-up to Weintraub on 4th-and-10. However, the next four plays didn’t go so well as Mandel was sacked on first down and incompletions on third and fourth down ended the game.

Oberlin had its chances to convert early on in the contest, but just couldn’t do it as it cashed in just 2-of-5 trips into the red-zone on the day. On the game’s opening series the Yeomen used 8:59 off the clock, going 49 yards on 16 plays, but had nothing to show for it as Joe Cook missed a 34-yard field goal. On their next drive, Oberlin got it down to the Bears’ 22-yardline, but turned it over on downs. Early in the second quarter another Yeomen drive was short-circuited as Mandel was intercepted at the Bears’ 5-yardline.

Seniors Derrick Dennis and Jake Hochendoner led the defense with eight tackles each. Hochendoner also added a sack. Defensive backs Matt Richard and senior Shawn Chrapczynski each had an INT as well.

The 85 offensive plays ran by the Yeomen as just 10 off a school record (95 vs. Wabash 2001). The 458 yards passing is a school record and Mandel’s 38 completions rank second all-time.

The Yeomen, who will conclude the season with three straight road games, travel to Denison next week for a 2 p.m. kickoff.

Mount Union poised in comeback

BEXLEY, Ohio—After dropping the first two sets, the Mount Union volleyball team rallied for a road win over Capital. With the victory, the Purple Raiders (20-6, 6-1) have secured a first round home match in the upcoming Ohio Athletic Conference Tournament.

The Crusaders tried to use their experience to take advantage of the Raiders' youth early in the match, but several freshmen came up big in the 19-25, 23-25, 25-18, 25-16, 15-11 decision for Mount Union.

Three freshmen, Nicole Snyder (Mentor/Lake Catholic), Maya Brown (Tiffin/Tiffin Columbian) and Melanie Patterson (Mentor/Lake Catholic) led the Purple Raider offense. Snyder had 20 kills while Brown had 13 kills and Patterson added 11 kills.

Brown (L), Mastroine (R)

 Freshmen Lauren Mastroine (Orrville/Orrville) and Allison Insana (Cleveland/Villa Angela-Saint Joseph) came through with 28 and 18 digs, respectively, while Brown added six total blocks to lead the defense.

Senior Julie Radigan (Olmsted Falls/Olmsted Falls) led Mount Union with a season-high 51 assists while adding a team-best four service aces. The Raiders also got contributions from upperclassmen Taylor Webb(Geneva/Geneva) with 10 kills and Kristen Gromes(Navarre/Fairless) with 16 digs.

For Capital (18-11, 2-5), Tara Luth and Emily Heitmeyer had nine kills each, Alyssa Angle had 40 assists and Luth had 22 digs.

Mount Union will return to the court on Tuesday night when they travel to Muskingum.

Oberlin Volleyball Earns Its First Win of the Season

Oberlin, Ohio- The Oberlin College women's volleyball team was able to earn their first win of the season today against the Battling Bishops of Ohio Wesleyan on senior day. The Yeowomen were able to send their two seniors Elizabeth Wong and Lizzie Orfaly out the right way, winning in straight sets 25-20, 25-16, 25-14.

The Yeowomen started the first set winning 25-20, and continued to get better as the day went on. In the first set, they had 11 kills as a team, as Laura Jessee and Chinwe Okona had three a piece. The duo of Jessee and Okona continued their offensive tear as they combined for 16 more kills in the next two sets. The two top hitters were set up nicely all day by freshman Jenna Bange who tied a career and season high of 34 assists. The Yeowomen had 41 kills on the day, which was a season high for the team. The previous high was 37, which was most recently done against Allegheny on October 19th.

The Yeowomen's service game was on point today, as they recorded 10 serving aces. Emma Kimmel led the way with four, andChristine Antonsen added three of her own.

The Yeowomen defense got better as the match went on, allowing fewer points in each set. Kimmel had a team high eight digs, and Okona added six for the Yeowomen.  

Seniors Wong and Orfaly contributed nicely in the team's win. Wong had two kills, one serving ace, two digs, and a team high two block assists. Orfaly added four digs from the labero position on the floor. On this senior day, Erica Rau earned her first victory as a head coach.

The Yeowomen travel to Case for their next match on October 26th, scheduled to start at 7 p.m.

Oberlin Swimming & Diving Starts the Year with a Win

Lexington, KY – Mark Fino became the all-time winningest head coach in dual meet history for the Oberlin College women’s swimming and diving team as both the Yeowomen and Yeomen were victorious in their season-opening meet against Transylvania on Saturday afternoon.

The Yeowomen took down the Pioneers 144-70, while the Yeomen won 143-73. The win is Fino’s 33rd victory as the Yeowomen’s leader, a role he has held since the start of 2003-04 season.

“This was a good first meet for us,” Fino said. “We were able to get some rust off in a competition format. I thought it was especially good for our first-years to experience their first collegiate meet. We just have to keep going and improving from here each day.”

One of the promising performances from the women came courtesy of rookie Simone Christen as she won the 1,000-yard free in 11:34.91.  Senior Kate Melanson took the top spot in the 100-yard fly in 1:01.91.]

Swimming alongside two other teammates in the 500, Ellen Drake checked in first in the event at 5:44.75.

Highlighting the Yeomen effort was freshman Chris McLauchlan whose performance off the 1-meter board was simply sensational. The East Lansing, Michigan, native won the event with an NCAA Provisional Qualifying standard of 288.75.

Jebran Haddad was a double winner for the Yeomen, touching in first in both the 50 free (23.36) and 100-yard breast (1:01.41).

Sophomore star Chris Pickens won the 200-yard free in 1:52.68 and Luke Harrison’s timestamp of 55.77 in the 100-yard fly was good for first place.

Oberlin returns to action next weekend with a double-dual against West Virginia Wesleyan and Malone.

Taylor Harris Runs For 216 Yards
The University of Dayton football team got big performances from its big performers, and withstood a 21-point fourth quarter by Morehead State to defeat MSU 30-28 Saturday in Morehead, Ky.
Senior running back Taylor Harris ran the ball 28 times for 216 yards for the Flyers.  It was the first time a Dayton runner ran for 200 yards or more since Jermaine Bailey did it against Drake in the 2000 season.   Senior end Devon Langhorst was UD’s top tackler with 13 hits.  Langhorst came into the game leading Dayton in tackles and sacks, and he added two more sacks to give him 10.5 on the year.
The Flyers led at halftime 13-7 thanks to two Nate Miller field goals and a heads up play on a punt return by UD senior Tyler Hujik.  A poor snap forced the Morehead punter to hurry the punt and it went off the side of his foot.  It was bouncing near the Morehead sideline where two Morehead players touched it but did not control it. 
Hujik knifed in and picked up the live ball and ran 32 yards untouched for a touchdown.
Dayton scored the only points in the third quarter when the Flyers ran the ball 11 straight times before Will Bardo hit Jordan Boykin for a six-yard pass to put UD up 20-7. 
Against a lot of teams this would have been a comfortable lead, but against the Pioneer Football League’s highest-scoring offense, it wasn’t going to be enough.  The Eagles found another gear, gaining 243 of their 349 yards of the day in the final 18:26 of the game.  MSU scored TD’s on three drives of 70+ yards, but the Flyers answered after each score.
After MSU scored to make it 20-14, Miller kicked his third field goal to push UD back up nine, 23-14 with 5:58 left.  Morehead scored just 36 seconds later to cut it to 23-21.  Dayton responded with a six-play, 68-yard drive.  On fourth-and-five from the 26, Bardo rolled left and then threw back right to Branden Johnson, who broke a tackle and ran down the sideline for the touchdown that made the score 30-21 with 2:25 remaining.
That was just enough as MSU scored again with 1:07 on the clock, making it a two-point game, 30-28. 
Harris recovered the onside kick, and ran the first nine yards of Dayton’s final possession.  When Bardo gained the first down on a quarterback sneak, the Flyers only had to take a knee once to secure the road win.
Dayton improved to 5-3, and 3-2 in the PFL, while Morehead State fell to 2-6 and 1-4.
Harris’ 216 yards were not only the most by a Dayton runner since the 2000 season, it was also the most in the PFL this season since 2008.  Bardo added 63 yards on 12 attempts.  Bardo had a tough day through the air (7 of 26 for 69 yards) but completed four of his last nine passes for 50 yards, two TD’s and two other first downs to keep drives alive.
Along with Langhorst’s 13 tackles, safety Steve Wirkus added 10 (one in the backfield) in his first game back after missing the last two with an ankle injury.  Linebackers Bryan Bailin and Colin Monnier had nine and eight hits respectively, with both colleting a tackle for a loss.
Kicker Nate Miller added three punts inside the 20-yard line to go with his five field goals.  He averaged 38.8 yards a punt on five punts for the game.
Dayton is on the road again next weekend, taking on Valparaiso on October 29.
DePauw Finishes Yeowomen

By Phil Brua

Greencastle, Indiana- The Oberlin College field hockey team was unable to keep up with the DePauw Tigers on Saturday afternoon. The final score of the game was 6-0, with DePauw tacking on three goals in the last 15 minutes of the game.

The Yeowomen were on the defensive for much of the first half. They were unable to record a shot, as DePauw's offensive attack controlled the ball. The defense was able to hold tough, only giving up two goals, and kept the team in the game going into the second half. Kiran Puri recored 12 saves in the first half, and had 22 on the day. Head coach Deb Ranieri was pleased with the way her keeper played for much of the game.

The second half saw a little more offense from the Yeowomen, as they took three shots, and had four penalty corners. They were just unable to find the back of the cage. DePauw dominated the shot total in the game 40-3, and took 20 penalty corners throughout the match.

They Yeowomen travel to Wooster for their next match as they take on the Scots at 4:30 p.m. on October 25th.

Baldwin-Wallace Women Shuts Out Wilmington, 2-0, in STO Women’s Soccer Game in Berea for Seventh Shutout This Season

BEREA, OHIO -- The Baldwin-Wallace College women’s soccer team shut out Ohio Athletic Conference foe Wilmington College, 2-0, today (Saturday, October 22, 2011) in an OAC match on the Tressel Field in The George Finnie Stadium. 

The shutout was B-W’s seventh this season and sixth in its last 10 matches

It was Seniors’ Day at the College and the Yellow Jackets acknowledged the contributions of its lone senior, Leeanne Kasburg (Cuyahoga Falls), prior to the match.
Senior Girl Kasburg

The match was taped by SportsTime Ohio and will be shown on regional cable TV tonight at 8:00 p.m.; tomorrow, Sunday, Oct. 23 at 5:00 a.m. and on Monday, Oct. 24 at 7:00 a.m.  This also was the first game of a men’s and women’s STO doubleheader. The men’s game kicks off at 7:00 p.m. and will be shown on STO tonight at 10:00 p.m., tomorrow at 7:00 a.m. and again at 12:00 noon.

With its win, B-W improves to 10-7 overall and 3-4 in the OAC and now stands in a fifth place tie with the Quakers in the OAC Standings with two regular season matches remaining.  With its loss, Wilmington drops to 5-9-3 overall and 3-4x in the OAC with two regular season matches left.


The Yellow Jackets were first to get on the scoreboard at the 8:47 mark of the first half when sophomore midfielder Hanna Cavalier (Chippewa Lake/ Cloverleaf) scored off a cross from sophomore Samantha Riveron (Maineville/ Kings). The goal was the second this season for Cavalier.

Sophomore midfielder Elizabeth Helser (Fort Wayne, Ind./ Canterbury) added to the B-W lead (2-0) at the 26:28 mark of the first period with a header off the corner kick by sophomore forward Rachel Gokey (Seville/ Lodi Cloverleaf).  The goal was Helser’s second this season. The score remained 2-0 at the intermission.

In net for B-W, freshman goalie Gabrielle Bodo (Alliance/ St. Thomas Aquinas) faced three Quaker shots, did not allow a goal and made three saves and improved her record to 6-6 this season.  For Wilmington, junior goalie Abby Williamson faced 14 Yellow Jacket shots, including seven on-goal, allowed two goals, made five saves and dropped her record to 2-6-3 this season.

For More Student/Athletic News Go to Today's C Page by 

clicking Below

No. 14 FSU Edges No. 7/10 Miami

RedHawks fall 2-0 in hard-fought, physical contest

BIG RAPIDS, Mich. – Despite outshooting No. 14 Ferris State 27-22, the No. 7/10 Miami hockey team was undone by penalties and hot goaltending from Bulldog netminder C.J. Motte as FSU topped the RedHawks 2-0 Saturday night at Ewigleben Ice Arena. With the win, the Bulldogs (6-0-0, 2-0-0 CCHA) completed the weekend sweep of Miami (2-4-2, 0-2-0 CCHA) while remaining undefeated on the year.

Ferris State scored both goals on the power play, taking advantage of its eight man-advantage opportunities, while the RedHawks received just three power plays but could not convert. The two sides combined for 88 penalty minutes with Miami being whistled for 59 of them. Motte made 27 saves to pitch his second straight shutout while senior goalie Connor Knapp finished with 20 stops for the ‘Hawks.

The teams played a scoreless opening period, as Miami was held without a goal in the first 20 minutes for the first time all season. Neither side capitalized on their lone power play opportunity of the frame but the ‘Hawks started the second stanza on the man advantage after some pushing and shoving to end the first period.

Seconds into the second period Miami was called for a penalty however, which resulted in a brief power play for FSU once the Bulldogs returned to full strength. While a man up, the Bulldogs were able to slip the puck through Knapp’s pads but junior defenseman Steven Spinell was able to clear it off the goal line before it crossed to keep it scoreless.

The game remained very physical in the middle stanza as the two sides combined for 55 penalty minutes in the period. Miami had two players given game misconducts (Garrett Kennedy and Curtis McKenzie) while FSU’s Matthew Kirzinger also received a game misconduct in the period. Knapp made two big saves on a Bulldog breakaway while Motte barely tipped a blast from freshman Blake Coleman with his glove with the sides skating 4-on-4, again keeping the game knotted at 0-0.

Just as the RedHawks were about to kill their first five-minute major, Travis Ouellete found the back of the net on a wrister off a feed from TJ Schlueter to break the deadlock 11:16 into the second period. The contest remained a one-goal affair heading into the final frame.

Miami came out battling in the third period, putting the pressure on the Bulldogs but each time Motte had an answer. With 4:18 remaining in the game, senior Trent Vogelhuber was given a game misconduct – the third RedHawk to be sent to the showers early – putting FSU on the power play the remainder of the contest. The ‘Hawks generated several opportunities despite being short-handed, including multiple hard wristers from junior Reilly Smith, but Motte gloved the puck on each.

The Bulldogs then made it 2-0 with 1:33 to go when Cory Kane tallied his second goal of the year with the man advantage. Knapp was pulled with 1:22 to play in favor of an extra attacker but Miami was unable to get on the scoreboard and was shut out for the first time since Jan. 7, 2011 at Ohio State.

The RedHawks were swept for the first time since that same OSU series Jan. 7-8, which was also part of Miami’s last three-game losing streak. The ‘Hawks have now started league play 0-2 for the first time since 2000-01.


Subpages (1): C Page -- Oct. 24, 2011