A Page -- Sept. 20, 2011

Berea High Hall of Fame class. Allison (James) Cuiksa, Brian Borrhello, Alex Camargo, Ken Robison, Amanda Petrak, Howard Dulmage, Berwyn Perrine, Chris Jones, Merideth Baugher, Alex Stepanovich, Judd Groza and Paul Heyse— at Saturday, Sept. 10 at the Berea High Auditorium.

Berea High Athletic Hall of Fame inducts state runner-up football team from 1978, the “year of football champions” in the Granite City

By Paul Heyse

The sting of losing the Class AAA state title game still lingers but the pride has never been stronger for members of the 1978 Berea High football team.

The ’78 team was enshrined along with this year’s class at the Berea High Athletic Hall of Fame induction on September 10 at the high school.  

Five of 53 former Student/Athletes plus three assistants attended the enshrinement. Ten S/As, including five that attended Saturday’s ceremonies, attended the hall of fame game the night before against Normandy. Why so many former players couldn’t attend was unfortunate, but it didn’t steal from making it a very special evening.

Berea lost to No. 1-ranked Cincinnati Princeton (12-0), 12-10, in the title game at Dayton’s Welcome Stadium. The underdog Braves (9-3) were ranked only 21st in the final AP poll.

Berea outplayed Princeton on both sides of the ball and had the Viking on the ropes late in the game.

The Braves were driving down the field. The clock was winding down. Berea had a 10-6 lead and everything appeared to be going its way.

“We were the underdogs that weren’t supposed to make the playoffs. We were the underdog that wasn’t supposed to make the championship game,” said center Rich McCaffrey. “From the beginning of the second quarter we were just dominating.”

But then disaster struck.

With a first-and-10 on Princeton’s 27, Berea running back Scott Shepard broke into the secondary for a 10-yard gain. A player lying on the ground reached up and poked the ball out of Shepard’s arms. Viking safety Bob Borden recovered the fumble with 2:06 left.

“That was the last play we were going to run and then we were going to sit on the ball because they had only 1-2 timeouts left,” said John Ference, assistant from 1970-78. “We knew we needed one more play (first down) to run out the clock.

“I remember the hole. I thought Scott was going to score. When I looked at the film, the kid was actually blocked and lying on the ground. He reached up and knocked the ball out of Scott’s hand. The (Princeton) player just flailed at it. Scott wasn’t even paying attention to him. Scott would have been down to the 10-yard line, maybe even scored. It was a crusher.”

McCaffrey also recalled the final Berea drive.

“We were chewing up yards on that drive before Scott fumbled, probably averaging five yards a carry,” said McCaffrey. “We had them back on their heels. You could tell we had them beaten. They were giving up and we were going to win the game. And then that fluke fumble came out of nowhere.”

Ninety-two seconds later, wide receiver Robert King thwarted Berea’s title hopes with a shoestring grab for an 18-yard touchdown. He caught it in the corner of the end zone on a fourth-and-three play with 19 seconds left.

It was King’s only touchdown of the season.

“They lined up in a twins to the wide side of the field,” said Ference. “The outside guy ran a post, the inside guy ran a down and out with a wheel cut. Tommy Smith broke for a stride or two for the wheel cut down the sideline and the post player caught the pass.

“We were too deep at the time. I don’t blame Tommy at all. He had two kids streaking deep, both of them were open. And Tommy was pretty fast. He took one step towards the guy down the sideline it was just enough to give the guy the post cut.”

Despite five turnovers and a blocked field goal, Berea dominated statistically.

The Berea bus brigade arrived home from Dayton at 2:30 a.m., Saturday morning.

“I got to bed about 3:30 a.m. and thought I would have no trouble sleeping,” Berea head coach Tom Madzy told the Plain Dealer’s Dick Zunt. “But I just couldn’t sleep. I played that game over a 1,000 times.

“I just kept thinking. When you lose a game like that with 32 seconds left, you just about play every play over and over.”

The late Tom Madzy

The Braves outgained the Vikings in total yards, 244 to 188. But Princeton ruled the stat that mattered – points.

“Princeton hadn’t done anything for 2 1/2 quarters,” said Ference. “They ran a couple draws. They had some fast kids – really fast kids. We probably should have called a timeout when the clock was stopped because they did run out of bounds and just sort of caution the kids down. But in retrospect, you look at and ‘I could have done a lot things.’

“We had stopped Princeton so long we just told the kids ‘ok, super defense, do it one more time.’ Clearly, personnel-wise they had it, especially that part of the year. We had a lot of kids dinged up. Brad (Scudder) was at corner and he wasn’t the starting corner at the beginning of the year. He played well. A lot of guys stepped up well and played. They had some split ends and tailbacks that were running 4.5 and 4.6 in those days which was very fast back then.”

The ride to the championship game border-lined on the incredible. Heck, it was incredible. It was a trip that Berea won’t ever forget.

“I don’t really remember what was said in the locker room afterwards or on the bus ride back home,” said McCaffrey. “After a few days when the moment wore off I do remember being proud of the fact that we were the first football team in school history to make the playoffs. I knew regardless of what the scoreboard read, I knew we were the better team that game. Regardless of what the score said, we were the better team.”

Berea was No. 5 in the region for computer points heading into the final game of the regular season. Berea had 106.87 points, right behind St. Edward (107.75). North Ridgeville (116.5) was the regional leader, but finished its season a week before Berea, St. Ed and many other schools from the region.

The Braves took charge of their destiny by defeating Midpark, 21-6. St. Edward toppled Akron St. Vincent, 29-6.

When things finally shook out, Berea won the region with 140.93 points. St. Edward was second with 130.34.

“I remember the math teachers from the high school, Skip Mason and Jim Gorsline, did some dabbling,” said Ference. “We knew we had a shot. It might have been a long-shot, but we knew we had a chance. We knew with a win and if things fell right, we had a chance.”

From 1972-79, only the regional winners advanced to the state playoffs. Doubters thought Berea with its two losses during the regular season didn’t have a shot. No Class AAA program in the seven-year history of the playoffs had ever qualified to the playoffs with two losses. But Berea’s perfect 7-0 record in the Lake Erie League catapulted the Braves to the top of the region.

“The coaches didn’t talk about it,” said McCaffrey. “If the coaches knew it was a possibility they didn’t say anything about until after the Midpark game was over. That when they said, ‘if the cards fall right, we might actually make the playoffs.’ Prior to that there was no mention of it whatsoever. With the Midpark game it wasn’t like they needed to get us fired up.”

And the rest is history.

Berea had one major hurdle left to get to the championship – No. 5-rated Zanesville. The Braves prevailed in a 6-3 triple overtime thriller at the Akron Rubber Bowl.

Berea won it on a 32-yard field goal by back-up Tom Von Duhn, who typically only handled kickoffs for the Braves. The game wasn’t quite over with Von Duhn’s kick, however.

The Braves were assessed a five-yard delay of game penalty when their fans poured onto the field celebrating Von Duhn’s kick. That gave the Blue Devils a first down at the Berea 15. Ultimately, Zanesville worked itself to a fourth down and inches situation on the goal line.

The Blue Devils opted to go for the win, but the handoff from quarterback Scott McGlade to fullback Jeff Smith never happened. McGlade dropped the snap from center and Berea linebacker Jerry Fletcher scooped up the loose ball. He ran to the center of the field, ball held high, and suddenly it was over. Berea was going to state.

The Braves’ defense was spectacular and nothing short of sensational all season. It gave up 20 points in the season-opening loss to North Olmsted; then never gave up more than one touchdown the rest of the way until the championship.

And Berea’s run to the championship was accomplished with several key players sidelined due to injury. Tailback Chris Barnett was the most significant loss, going down with a knee injury in the fourth game of the season.

Defensive tackle Dave Oblak earned second team All-Ohio honors. Shepard was honorable mention. Oblak, Shepard, Smith, fullback Art Lammermeier and tight end Judd Groza were All-LEL.

Two players are deceased. Defensive end Dave Gentile was killed in a car accident in 1980. Von Duhn died of cancer in 2000. Madzy, who coached Berea from 1967-1992, passed away from cancer in 1997.

Also in 1978, the team of Student/Athletes across the street from BHS, Baldwin-Wallace College, won teh Division III national championship with a Stagg Bowl victory over rival Wittenberg.

Paul Heyse played left guard for Berea in 1977 and ’78. He missed the last five games of the ’78 season because of a knee injury, but was on the sidelines or helping in the pressbox in support of his teammates.

Miami Tops ISU on Zakrzewski’s Overtime Goal
Zakrzewski records second multi-goal game of season

OXFORD, Ohio – Sophomore Kayla Zakrzewski booted in the game-winning goal 3:56 into the first overtime over the weekend in Miami Soccer Field to give the Miami University women’s soccer team a 2-1 come-from-behind win over Indiana State and extend Miami’s winning streak to three. The match was the first ever meeting between the RedHawks (5-2-0) and Sycamores (3-70) and also served as a final tune-up before Mid-American Conference play.

Miami controlled much of the match, setting a school record with 39 shots, including 20 in the second stanza, while limiting ISU to just eight. The previous record was 37 shots against Alabama A&M in last year’s season opener. Miami also set a school record with 17 corner kicks, one better than the 16 the RedHawks earned against Eastern Michigan on Nov. 7, 2000, while conceding just one all day.


“It was a good effort. We worked hard and brought a lot of energy to the game, especially for a Sunday game, which is always tough after playing Friday,” head coach Bobby Kramig said. “We came out and were sharp. We started well in the second half as well.“


Of Miami’s 39 shots, 18 were on goal but Indiana State goalkeeper Emily Lahay put on a stellar performance, making 14 saves, including several diving and highlight-reel stops. The RedHawks had an early chance to get on the board in the sixth minute when sophomore Katy Dolesh (South Euclid, Ohio) fired a low line drive from inside the penalty box but Lahay stretched full-extension to knock it wide.


In the 16th minute, the Sycamores grabbed the lead on Kourtney Vassar’s first goal of the year. Katie Geyman sent a free kick into the box that Miami redshirt freshman goalkeeper Allison Norenberg (Palatine, Ill.) came off her line to snag but missed, allowing Vassar the easy putaway.


After Lahay denied several other chances for the RedHawks, Miami finally leveled the match at 1-1 on Zakrzewski’s (London, Ont.) first goal of the match. Junior Jess Kodiak (Naperville, Ill.) sent in a corner kick in the 32nd minute that found Zakrzewski’s foot. The sophomore’s first shot was blocked but she gathered her own rebound and buried the ball in the net.


ISU had a good chance to recapture the lead in the 36th minute when the Sycamores sent a cross into the box where Shelby Troyer was unmarked, but she was unable to put the ball on frame as it skidded off her head and wide of the goal. The ‘Hawks had an opportunity of their own in the closing seconds of the first half, earning two corner kicks with Zakrzewski getting a hold of the second one but Casey Allbright was on the goal line to clear the shot away.


The teams went into the break knotted at 1-1 despite Miami holding a 15-6 edge in shots and an 8-0 advantage in corner kicks. Lahay had five saves in the first 45 minutes while Norenberg made three of her five stops in the first stanza.


The RedHawks dominated the second period, holding ISU to just two shots while Miami’s 20 was one shy of a single-half school record. Again Lahay came up large however to keep the game even. In the 53rd minute, freshman Emily Hyde (Barrington, Ill.) had a point-blank shot that Lahay was able to snag while Zakrzewski was denied in the 62nd minute when she again had a shot on goal cleared off the line by a defender. Freshman Hailey Pleshakov (Brighton, Mich.) had her drive tipped over the crossbar in the 77th minute by Lahay while in the closing seconds of regulation, Lahay corralled a blast from freshman Kelsey Dinges (Smithton, Ill.), who finished the game with a team-high eight shots, sending the match to overtime.


“The offense was successful in generating chances but we also probably set a record for missing chances and that’s not one you want to put in the books. This is soccer and sometimes it goes that way,” Kramig said. “All the credit to their goalkeeper. That’s one of the most remarkable performances I’ve ever seen.”


In the 94th minute, Pleshakov again had a blast tipped over the crossbar by a jumping Lahay, giving Miami its 17th corner kick of the day. Kodiak sent in the corner that found Zakrzewski, who was in perfect position to put home the game-winner, much like Zakrzewski’s first goal of the day. The two-goal game was Zakrzewski’s second of the season and ties her for the team lead with five goals while Kodiak earned the assist on the game-winning goal.


“I was impressed with the comeback. We never lost our composure, we never panicked. The kids know what they’re doing. I’ve been really impressed with our play this weekend,” Kramig said. “We were very disciplined and organized and have been doing the things we’ve been working on in practice. It was an excellent weekend in terms of preparation for conference play and I think we’re ready.”

Apartment/Condo (one bedroom) for rent:

Fifth floor of a high rise within walking distance of Lakewood Park. View of the lake from the front veranda attached to the living/dining area. Large array of amenities including indoor/heated swimming pool, sauna, work-out area, library/party room, secure bicycle lock-up area, five minutes from three major bus lines to downtown Cleveland and most colleges, walking distance to more than a dozen eateries, library, post office, grocery stores, coffee shops, pharmacies, banks, video rentals. Appliances and most utilities included in rent. Freshly painted walls, new carpeting, and replaced fixtures – entire living area is “like new.” References requested. $550 mo. Will be ready for move-in before Oct. 1. Contact: 216-221-7566

Twinsburg's Matt Weller named Special 

Teams Player of the Week in the MAC

Matt Weller of Twinsburg was named Mid American Conference Special Teams Player of the Week in the Mid American Conference, the league office in downtown Cleveland announced Monday.

Special Teams Player of the Week:  Ohio K Matt Weller

Weller (Twinsburg, Ohio), a junior kicker, was a perfect 3-for-3 on field goals, connecting from 20, 21 and 34 yards and was 5-for-5 in PAT attempts in Ohio’s 44-7 win over Marshall. Weller has not missed a PAT attempt this season.

Weller tied former Bobcat Kevin Kerr (1999-02) for the all-time lead with 38 career field goals made. On kickoffs, Weller had an average of 56.2 with a pair of touchbacks. 

Glenville alumnus Travis Freeman named 

Defensive POW in MAC

Junior linebacker Travis Freeman (Cleveland, Ohio) has been named Defensive Player of the Week in  the MAC.

Defensive Player of the Week:  Ball State LB Travis Freeman

The Glenville High alumnus led Ball State’s defense with 12 tackles in the Cardinals 28-25 victory over Buffalo.  His 12 tackles was a season high for Freeman, who has led Ball State in tackles in two games this season (10 vs. Indiana).  Freeman, who has started 26 straight games and 26-of-27 in his career, leads Ball State with 29 tackles on the season. 








Avon Lake hopes to get back into the thick of the SWC boys soccer race against “The Olmsteds” in next two matches; also Northview is on slate in non-league play

By Norm Weber

Student/Athlete-Cleveland Editor


Avon Lake and Olmsted Falls will be doing battle in boys’ soccer on Wednesday night this week in a Southwestern Conference match, the Bulldogs looking to take it one step further than last year and the Shoremen looking to get back into the league race.

The Shoremen won every contest (seven in all) between the two schools from 2004 and 2009, but the Bulldogs made it as close as it could be in 2010 with a 0-0 tie.

Last year’s match was one of four shutouts in the series since 2004. The Shoremen won by a 4-0 score in 2006 and 2008 and by a 2-0 count 2007 in the sectional finals.


The Bulldogs have scored two goals in a match against Avon Lake only twice in the last eight meetings so it will take a little more offense for Olmsted Falls to get its first win over Avon Lake in many moons.

Speaking of offense, Avon Lake has been generating quality opportunities but hopes to put a few more in the net.  scored four goals this past week so the others need to begin following.


Four-goal scorer Kevin Gjyrezi 

Later this week, the Shoremen will travel to the Toledo area to take on a strong side from Sylvania Northview.  The Shoremen fell to the Wildcats 4-2 in 2010. 

The all-time series between the Shoremen and Wildcats is tied, 1-1, with Avon Lake winning 1-0 in 2009.

Avon Lake is still ranked in the top 10 in Greater Cleveland in the coaches’ poll. The Shoremen are ranked 10th in GC.

The Shoremen still have a shot at getting a piece of the SWC title but will need some help. With three league matches remaining, the Shoremen have five points with a 2-1-1 record while Amherst has eight points with a 4-0-0 record and North Olmsted six with a 3-0 mark.

Avon Lake will play North Olmsted next week.  “Every year this match always seems to be within one goal and something dramatic happens late,” said Avon Lake Coach Dan Ogilvy.  “The Eagles are off to a fast start in the SWC and our Shoremen hope to bring our best effort in this great battle.”

Avon Lake Reserve Results: 

The Reserves generated numerous chances against Oberlin on Monday but came out with a 1-1 draw on a Logan DeLong goal. 

On Wednesday night, the Shoremen beat Midpark 3-0 behind a pair of goals from DJ Murdock and one by Logan DeLong.

The Shoremen continued their winning ways on Saturday with a 3-1 win over Normandy…DJ Murdock again scored two and Kyle Smith added the third. 

The Reserves travel to Eastlake North on Monday and Olmsted Falls on Wednesday. 

Mags’ JV cross country team finishes seventh in an all-varsity race, the McDonough Invite

The Magnificat Cross Country team competed at the McDonough Invite hosted by VASJ at Forest Hills Park.  

The varsity squad did not compete and instead the JV stepped it up to compete in the varsity race.  The Mags JV ladies ran much like a varsity team,  finishing 7th among all varsity teams.

Two freshmen, Victoria Meyer and Brooke McQuinn, took the lead in 27th and 28th places. They ran 21:52 and 21:53, respectively.  Angelina Klucznik and Erin Gallagher also ran under 22:00 while Bridgette Coyne ran 22:03 to round out the top five.

The first wave of open runners ran in the JV race and finished 2nd overall as a team.  The squad was led by another freshman, Molly Sullivan, placing 6th overall in a PR of 22:55.  Devyn Brossard, Mia Mariotti, Sydney Jablonski and Caroline Samanich helped the top 5 all place in the top 25 for the day.  

Jablonski PRd in 23:59.

The second wave of open runners again was led by two freshmen, Liz Fitzgerald and Marie Haikal, who both PRd in 23:49 and 24:11, respectively.

Other PRs for the day were earned by Nadia Vovk (22:48), Avery Pacella (24:50), Sam Ketterer (25:07), Fiona O'Donnell (26:23) and Maggie Hughes (31:50).

The team will travel to the Midwest All Catholic Championships hosted by Dayton Carroll High School in Kettering, Ohio on Saturday.

Mentor's Guarino Places in Top 20, Storm in Top 10 at Northwood Invite

PAINESVILLE, OHIO – Junior Mike Guarino (Mentor, Ohio/Mentor) tied for 17th individually and the Lake Erie College men's golf team posted a ninth-place team finish after the final round of the Northwood University Invitational at Currie West Golf Course In Midland, Mich.
Mentor's Guarino

Guarino shot 74-76-150 (+6) to finish as Lake Erie's low scorer for the second time in as many tournaments this fall. Senior Frank Whites III (Wickliffe, Ohio/Wickliffe) was three strokes behind at 78-78-153 (+9) and classmate Matt Hennessey (Chardon, Ohio/Chardon) was the next best Storm player at 80-76-156 (+12). Whites tied for 26th while Hennessey tied for 42nd.

As a team, the Storm was 12 strokes behind eighth place Wayne State University with a team score of 630. Host Northwood won the team title with a score of 589. Ashland University's Jay Overy was the individual medalist at 141.
Mount Union Men's Soccer Falls to Point Park (Pa.)

ALLIANCE—The Mount Union men's soccer team fell to Point Park (Pa.) by a score of 2-1. This was the second match for the Purple Raiders (5-3-0) in as many days.

After a scoreless first half, three goals were scored in the opening nine minutes of the second half. Point Park's Matt Annecchiarico opened the scoring with a goal off a pass from Jack Pilkinton in the 48th minute.

Thomas Beck (Poland/Cardinal Mooney) scored the lone goal for Mount Union in the 53rd minute when he gathered a deflection off the keeper and buried it into the net. Beck has now scored a goal in four straight games.

In the 54th minute, Alex Sala scored to give Point Park a 2-1 lead. Beck had an opportunity to tie the match in the 88th minute, but goalkeeper Mitchell Kelman made a great save to preserve the victory.

Kelman made four saves for the Pioneers. Jon Critell (Youngstown/Cardinal Mooney) saved two shots on goal for Mount Union.

Wooster, 'Berg tie in Kenyon Tournament

GAMBIER, Ohio -The Heidelberg University men's soccer team tied The College of Wooster, 1-1, in double overtime this afternoon in the second of two matches at the Kenyon College Tournament in Gambier, Ohio.

The win evens the Berg at 2-2-2 overall.  Wooster is now 3-2-1.

Senior midfielder Michael Juart (Hilliard/Darby) gave the Student Princes a 1-0 lead when he scored an unassisted goal in the 32nd minute, his first of the season.  The Berg has scored the first goal in five of its six matches
this season and is 2-1-2 when scoring first.

Heidelberg controlled much of the first half, firing eight shots and setting up for five corner kicks, compared to two shots and two corners for Wooster.

Wooster's Josh Dailey scored a goal in the 70th minute to knot the score, 1-1.


Senior Safety Leads Nation In Interceptions

University of Dayton redshirt senior safety Steve Wirkus has been named Pioneer Football League Defensive Player of the Week for his role in Dayton’s 24-10 win over Marist on Saturday.

Wirkus intercepted two passes, batted down two more and was in on six tackles (four solo).  His big plays came at critical times in the game.  His first pass deflection on a third down in the second quarter forced Marist to settle for the field goal that opened the scoring. 

 His second interception was on the Red Foxes’ first offensive play of the second half, setting up UD’s third touchdown that made it a two-score game.  And he batted away a pass on 4th-and-4 at the Dayton 18-yard-line, ending Marist’s final scoring threat of the game late in the third quarter.

The game was the PFL opener for both teams and extended Dayton’s winning streak in league games to 11.  The Flyers edged Marist in last season’s finale to win their 11th PFL title in the 18 years since the league’s origin.

Wirkus, a Brecksville-Broadveiw Heights High School graduate, has had an interception in every game and leads FCS football in picks per game (4). The first-year starter also leads Dayton in tackles (23), solo hits (14) and passes batted away (3, tied with Howard Savage). 

UD is now 2-1 on the year and plays at Central State on Saturday in the Flyers’ final non-conference game of 2001.  Game time at McPherson Stadium is 1:30 p.m. ET.

Stow's Cody Nickson has Wright State's Second-Best Overall Score as Raider Golf Finishes Third at UK Bluegrass Invite; Freshman Ties for Ninth in Tourney

The Wright State golf team Sunday combined for a 281 in the final round, the best of any team in the field, to finish third at the UK Bluegrass Fall Invitational, held at the University Club of Kentucky in Lexington.

Jordan Higgins was the top finisher for the Raiders as he tied for third with a 216, including a 72 in the final round. Freshman Cody Nickson carded a 68 on Sunday to end up at 218, good for a ninth-place tie. Scott Thompson shot a 71 to finish tied for 13th at 219.

The Raiders return to action at the Telich/Sun Life Financial CSU Invitational, set for October 3-4 in Cleveland.

WSU Results

T3) Jordan Higgins, 75-69-72=216

T9) Cody Nickson, 75-75-68=218

T13) Scott Thompson, 75-73-71=219T25) Cody Fixari, 79-73-70=222

T84) Paul VanDeventer, 82-81-82=245
Call John at 216-228-9329

North Ridgeville's Jordan White named 

Offensive Player of the Week in the MAC

Senior wide receiver Jordan White (Cleveland, Ohio) has been named the Offensive Player of the Week in the MAC.

Offensive Player of the Week:  Western Michigan WR Jordan White

White (Cleveland, Ohio) had his second double-digit reception day of the season, hauling in 13 catches for a season high 177 yards in Western Michigan's 44-14 win over Central Michigan. 

White had a pair of touchdowns to go along with a career long 64-yard punt return.  White had a career best 241 all-purpose yards against Central Michigan.  

With the effort, White moved into fourth on the all-time receptions list at Western Michigan with 195.  He also moved into third on the career list for 100-yard receiving games with his 13th.

Case Reserve's Drougas, Klawitter Compete During Final Day of Purdue Invitational

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Case Western Reserve University freshman Will Drougas (Roanoke, Va./Salem) and sophomore Eric Klawitter (Arlington Heights, Ill./John Hershey) competed in the semifinals of two separate flights during the final day of the Purdue University Invitational on Sunday at the Schwartz Tennis Center.

Drougas, who earned a spot in the final four of the Flight A back draw, defeated Matija Palinic of Depaul University by a 6-1, 6-4 tally. In the other semifinal, Nadin Indre of Western Michigan University advanced to the final with a walkover win. During the final, Indre took a 6-2, 6-2 decision over Drougas.

In the Flight B singles back draw semifinals, Klawitter was matched up with the University of Iowa's Chris Speer. Speer was victorious via a 6-1, 6-1 tally and eventually went on to win the B back draw title.